1. Preparing to move. Packing up.
Moving does not have to be a stressful event. In fact, with just a dash of pre-planning, moving to any new city like San Jose can actually be an enjoyable event. All it takes is a bit of patience, planning and a notepad.
2. Moving Company. Pods. Or 2 Guys & a Truck?
There’s a lot of comfort in using a bonded, national moving company. But thanks to so many choices today, you have options ranging from the usual national firms such as Mayflower, to the pod companies. POD companies come to your home, drop off a giant pod container and you fill it up. Then call them when it’s ready to move. No matter which you choose, pre-planning is important and you can and should use AngiesList.com to check out what others have said about the firm — BEFORE you hire them.
3. Utilities. Phone Company. Water.
Easy Home Realty will provide you upon request, a complete list of the local South Florida utility companies, their addresses and phone numbers. That way before you move in, you can have your power and water turned on and ready the day you move into your new San Jose home.
4. On Moving Day
- Walk through every part of the house to find stray items, opening cabinet and closet doors.
- Make sure you have keys to your new home.
- Supervise movers as they load, then again at delivery to make sure boxes and other items go to the right rooms at your new home.
- Watch for damaged items or damaged boxes. Note all damage on the mover’s bill of lading and ask the supervising person to sign off on the notation.
- Unpack your essentials box–then try to relax for awhile before you start the big unpacking job.
If you’ve ever moved you know there’s more to it than this! Transporting pets, plants and people in a comfortable way should top your list, and nearly everything you cancel at your old home must be started again at the new location.
Generic tips are a good guide, but start your own personalized list of moving musts on the day you decide to move.